Victoria A. Jeffrey's authorly doings. . .

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Thoughts

Thoughts.

When I have a new story bouncing around in my brain it can take years to develop into something coherent. The stories I've already published were ideas that I had years ago but I've written at length about those.

A little background information. I'd first read Frank Herbert's Dune series when I was in my twenties. Like Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Dune was very influential on me as a young writer and I had decided that I wanted to write a grand, sweeping book set on another planet. I had decided not to write a LOTR style book because there were so many copycats that were everywhere I didn't feel that I had anything to contribute but the sweep and enormity of it was also something that inspired this idea.

Other things have a deep influence as well. namely, the Bible which has a significant influence on this new series. I wanted it set on another world but I didn't really want to write a futuristic story. I wanted it to have the feel of antiquity. Ancient Babylon, Assyria and Ancient Egypt and ancient Israelite culture (see a theme here?) all are things that have influenced this story.  I want a feeling of  history, pseudo-history, I guess you could say.

Also there are certain historical people that have a lot of influence for some of the characters. The prophet Jeremiah, the monk Savonarola, King Ahasueras, King Nebuchadnezzar and Queen Athaliah.

The planet Mars figures as its own character in a way. I'll post on that later but those are some thoughts on some of the influences for this new series of books. History makes for a rich story. It's exciting and intimidating all at the same time. Can this story measure up to all this loftiness? Only time will tell.




No comments: