Victoria A. Jeffrey's authorly doings. . .

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Geeking Out: Fan Films

I've only recently been getting into fan films and I'm discovering a lot of wonderful content out there.

I love the independent arts. Indie news. Indie films. Indie books. Indie music. Indie art. Open source software and programs. Fan films. I just love the great stuff that's coming out of people, on their own steam and their own resources. It's like a Renaissance of independent content and culture.

Anyway, I saw The Hunt For Gollum last night and I loved it. You can watch it here if you haven't already seen it - if you happen to be a big Lord of the Rings fan like I am, you'll enjoy it. I plan to watch another one, Born of Hope, which can be found here. The production values, the score, the acting is wonderful in tHfG so check it out. Oh, and it's free, of course! You can also get a free copy of the soundtrack which is also good. And if you really like it, donate to them. On the Born of Hope website there is a Paypal donation button. Indie artists and content creators work hard. Show your appreciation with your pocketbook when you can.

Then there's the matter of a Dune fan film that was in production in Spain but the breaks have been put on it by the Herbert Foundation. I hope this can get worked out because i would love to see a well made Dune fan film. In fact, I would love to see Dune remade, by a director who loves and respects the work who can get the right amount of funding/budget for it. Dune always needed at least two films for the story to properly be told. Below is some wonderful Dune artwork I found on Mark Molnar's sketchblog.

If someone could use his art as the conceptual art for a new Dune film trilogy or series - I would be in Sci-Fi heaven!


No comments: