Victoria A. Jeffrey's authorly doings. . .

Monday, September 19, 2011

Acceptance of the changes in publishing

There's a lot of talk about the self publishing revolution that is radically changing the publishing worl. In case yoiua re wondering where I stand, I am firmly on the side of mavericks like Konrath and Stackpole.

For years I tried to get a traditional deal. I went the same route all writers go. I have the rejection slips to prove it. There were times when I became so depressed over it that I stopped writing for a few years. But I woud always get up, dust myself off and get back on the merry-go- round.

Except this time, last May I was surfing the internet looking for information on rewriting and I came across by accident that writers no longer had to get a trad deal to publish their work, nor did they have to go through a vanity press. They could self publish straight to Amazon and other venues, big and small. I was estatic over this! You mean to tell me that I don't have to sit and beg and wait for years and years for the minute chance that I may get a publishing deal? Seriously? I accepted the change in a snap. I didn't wait, I didn't feel the need for a trad deal for validation and I didn't feel invested in the old way of doing things and I've been writing for many years now. I accepted the change instantly and the first thing I did was get out old manuscripts, rework and proofread them, figured out how I could publish my work and where I needed to get started!

Some writers need someone else's approval to publish their own work. They require validation. I won't knock them. It's too easy. I have confidence in my work. It ain't perfect but I like it. I just don't need other people's approval.

No comments: